The Right Way to Thump It
Much like going galavanting for a good date, too much flavor is on the line to walk up and take any one home. Unless one is really hard up, she wouldn’t leave with just anybody, now would she? She’d be selective, take her time, maybe even feel a few of the specimens on offer to try to gauge what might be inside when she unwrapped them.
She would be finicky. Her childhood memories are sprinkled with sticky sweet juices and the hard crunch of the random seed in her teeth. Those recollections demand the ultimate satisfaction.
The best way for a finicky person to find the best watermelon in the pile is to thump it. Thumping ensures that the fruit will be ripe and juicy, begging to be eaten in slivers and chunks. It is the foolproof method for picking the best one in the heap.
Instructions For Thumping the Perfect Watermelon
- Place the middle finger behind the thumb and
- Spring it into the side of a melon two or three times, close to the middle of the fruit.
- Listen to the pitch of the sound that reverberates from inside the orb.
- Repeat with another watermelon.
- Evaluate the pitch. Which one is deeper?
- Remember that one and move on, thumping several more in the same motion.
- The deepest thumping sound will be the ripest watermelon. Every. Single. Time.
This post is part of my Torture Myself By Writing About Food While On the Dukan Diet Series. To eat these posts from the beginning, click here and read forward for butt-kicking pimento cheese, delectable pickled shrimp, beautiful boiled peanuts and succulent grits.