I promised more good news, Dear Reader. Because writers spend typical days like this:
- Wake up.
- Mainline industrial shots of caffeine.
- Jump off cliff.
- Hear no in response to every request. (No, you can’t have an event at our shop, because no one knows who you are, and therefore nobody will come. No, we only work with authors represented by big publishers. No, you really thought we’d even consider this request for an interview? Seriously? No, your book isn’t any more special than anyone else’s. No, we won’t even give you the opportunity to give your book away for free. No. No. No. No. NO.)
- Peel splatted soul from the base of the cliff.
- Carry broken limbs and shredded hide back to the top on vertigo-inducing trail.
- Sleep to prepare for the next round of no.
I don’t hear the word YES much, but I believe the path to YES lies in the superhuman ability to process the word NO.
A big YES officially confirmed last week.
On September 24, 2015,
I will be the featured author
in the main branch of the
San Diego Public Library.
They’re paying me to give my Make a Memory presentation to their patrons.
You read that right.
The main branch library of the 8th largest city in the United States booked me for a huge author event. Do they care that nobody’s heard of me? Nope. In fact, they want to help. They’re selecting Not Without My Father as a featured read, AND they’re interviewing me for their patron newsletter.
Because it always helps when my books
are recommended by outlets
I hope this event will open the doors of libraries across the country, because it would take me weeks to list the ones who’ve told me NO. It’s understandable. They have finite programming budgets, and they want to offer events that will draw more people through their doors.
The San Diego Public Library
took a chance on me.
And I’ll be forever grateful, wherever this crazy journey leads.
If you have friends, relations, colleagues or enemies in the San Diego area, I hope you’ll share my upcoming event and encourage them to join me. You can find it HERE.
If they haven’t read my books, pique their interest with a link to my book page HERE.