Have you ever made plans, only to see them fall through?
Yeah. Me too.
I’m supposed to be in Italy right now. Because after a stressful Spring, what’s better than guzzling—I mean SIPPING wine under the Tuscan sun? Only I’m NOT in Italy, because LIFE. Instead, I’m stuck in my house.
I know. Nobody feels sorry for me.
Shitty circumstances stripped me of my dreamy Italian getaway and handed me……….a blank holiday weekend. No appointments. No events. No plans. Nowhere I had to be.
When was the last time
YOU had absolutely nothing
on your weekend calendar?
Here’s how I made the best of absolutely nothing:
- I read. I turned off the computer, silenced my phone and curled up in bed. One book helped me recall who I used to be: A woman who loves to explore the world through a good book, without feeling guilty that I *should* be doing something else.
- I sat outside in the sun. We found a quiet corner table overlooking the marsh. Over food that was too fiery and drinks that weren’t quite cold, we held hands, eschewed sunblock and just talked. About everything. About nothing.
- I spent unexpected time with friends. Life is too busy to see anyone these days. When we dropped by a friend’s house for a few minutes, we found ourselves on their back porch for hours. Watching the sunset. Sipping scotch. Catching up with people we wish we saw more often.
- I played cards. I shuffled. MTM cut. I dealt hand after hand while we played footsie under the table. No screens. Phones I-don’t-know-where. We indulged in an old fashioned game of chance. I won’t reveal what I won. *wink*
- I napped. A mid-afternoon snooze is the most decadent thing on earth. Before screens conquered the world, I used to worship at the Altar of Napping almost every afternoon, and I came back to work refreshed and uber-productive. I’m glad a cancelled trip reminded me that naps help my brain to fire.
NUGGETS FOR SKIMMERS:
To Live Forever, BookBub’s 5.29 Literary Feature, ONLY 99 CENTS TODAY THROUGH JUNE 7, 2015
One thing you couldn’t have done without your dad. Hashtag your social media post #NotWithoutMyFather.
Father’s Day. Give someone Not Without My Father, the ultimate Father’s Day read. ONLY $2.99.
Big announcement coming in this afternoon’s e-newsletter. Be among the first to know.